2 Pints grape tomatoes, left whole
10 Cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
2 tbs fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup plus 2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 tsp Kosher salt (or to taste)
1 pint fresh ricotta cheese
2 fresh baguettes sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
This is everyone’s favorite appetizer and it couldn’t be easier to prepare.
1. Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, rosemary and hot pepper flakes to the oil and cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant, not brown.
2. Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook stirring regularly until tomatoes have cooked down to a sauce, about 20 minutes. The tomatoes that are still whole can be mashed with a wooden spoon (careful, tomatoes splatter).
3. Add salt and 1/3 cup olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl and let the tomato mixture thoroughly cool.
4. Spoon the ricotta into the center of a shallow serving bowl so it is heaped in the middle leaving a well all around. Spoon the cooled tomato mixture around the ricotta and serve with fresh baguettes.
This dish can be made a day in advance.
SALMON CHIP WITH GARLIC HORSERADISH CREAM
This recipe is adapted from a recipe Emily and Sarah found in a magazine while waiting on the checkout line at Lowe’s Home Improvement. It is simple to prepare and a crowd pleaser.
1 pint sour cream (full fat preferred)
1 tbs jarred horseradish
1 head roasted garlic (instructions follow)
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 bag plain kettle cooked potato chips
1/2 smoked salmon cut into 1/2 inch by 1 inch strips
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Cut of the very top of a head of garlic to reveal the tips of most of the garlic gloves. rub the outside of the head with olive oil and wrap the head in tin foil. Roast in the over for 45 minutes to an hour. Let garlic cool to room temperature. Remove the meat of the cloves wit a small spoon and set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl combing the sour cream, horseradish, garlic, salt and pepper.
3. Place a dollop of the cream mixture on each chip followed by a strip of salmon and top with fresh ground pepper. Continue until you have created a plater of salmon chips.