(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen – http://www.smittenkitchen.com)
- 2 loaves soft Italian bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons Bailey’s
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
1. Generously grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter.
2. Arrange bread in two tightly-packed layers in the pan. Fill in gaps with smaller pieces cut from the ends or spare slices.
3. Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, salt and booze and pour over the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
4. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The bread will absorb all of the milk custard while you sleep.
5. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
6. Cut into generous squares and serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit, powdered sugar or all of the above.
Serves 6 as main course.