30 lbs beefsteak tomatoes (peel, cored, quartered)
1 large vidalia onion
2 large shallots
6 large cloves garlic
1 8 oz. can tomato paste
12 fresh basil leaves
1/3 cp chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. black pepper
1/3 cp brown sugar packed
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp fennel seed
2 Tsp thyme
2 Tsp oregano
2 Tsp crushed red pepper
1) Stew tomatoes until boiling, then puree.
2) Saute onions and shallots in 1 Tbsp olive oil until soft and golden. Add dried herbs. Saute until fragrant.
3) Add onion mixture to pureed tomatoes. Add fresh herbs, sugar, sat & pepper. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer.
4) Remove 3 cups sauce to small sauce pan. Put peeled garlic cloves into small sauce pan and simmer until garlic cloves are soft.
5) Remove garlic cloves with slotted spoon to cutting board. Crush garlic with fork into mash and stir back into small sauce pan. Stir sauce from small sauce pan into larger pot. Add tomato paste.
6) Continue to simmer 5-6 hours. Skim off bright red foam periodically as it contains the acid from the tomatoes.