This recipe couldn’t be more simple and it turns out amazing every time. The coleslaw is great on its own as a side dish but is also amazing stuffed into a pulled pork sandwich with pickles on a hamburger bun.
This recipe makes enough for about 20 people, but coleslaw makes great leftovers and is even better the second day. It is hard to make less if you want to include both green and red cabbage and don’t want to waste any cabbage. Alternatively you can make one color coleslaw. Just use only one head of cabbage and halve the rest of the ingredients.
1 head green cabbage, shredded
1 head red red cabbage, shredded
6 large carrots, grated
4 or 5 shallots, finely chopped
2 cups mayonnaise (I prefer Hellman’s)
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1. In a large bowl or stock pot combine cabbage, carrots, and shallots and toss to combine.
2. In a separate bowl combine all the dressing ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
4. Transfer dressed cabbage mixture to a serving bowl.
5. cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve and at least one hour prior to serving.